Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Advocacy and Leadership

As a 21st century librarian, what do I advocate for? Is it the chant that says print books will never die. That if you embrace the change to the digital world you will be black balled? Or maybe it is the rhythm of the phrase “the restrictions of print are dead” as Dowd mentions regarding the usefulness of the printing press in her article “The 'M' Word – Marketing Libraries: Godin, Gutenberg and Going Forward.” I can definitely say that in my personal advocacy corner, I'm for building communities of responsible citizens who think of others, strive for new knowledge and, of course, enjoy a good book -I use that term lightly.

In the article “Are Librarians – Not Seth Godin, The Ones Missing the Point on Libraries?” Hamilton writes something I strongly agree with. In the library, we need to find ways to encourage conversations for learning. When I told friends I was going to be the librarian, they asked me if I had been practicing my “sshh” as that is what librarians tend to do. To a point, I understand that people are reading, having a small intervention class and other things going on at the same time that need to not be distracted, however, I love having conversations in the library between teachers, students and parents. We are social people and we need to mix that need for social interaction with respect for others.

Gwyneth Jones, better known as “The Daring Librarian” wrote an article about being a transparent educator. By the title, I thought she would be discussing being open with students and peers and to share when we discover a new tool or resource. As I read, I realized she simply meant, get yourself “out there” for people to see. She listed 8 social media avenues that she recommends. I read the 8 and thought that I could never maintain all of them. She said to choose one that works for you as your “main” source, then have all the other-such as wikis-facebook-blogs and so on, link to the one that has the meat of your information. She said to think of it as a “funnel” to get people where you want them.

In continuing to find ways to advocate for my library, I read “Guest Point: Visibility Works!” by S. Jones. I may be doing super-fantastic things in my library but only my students are impacted. Well that's my main goal, of course, but if I want my library and its importance to stick around for many years, I need to get visible. She loves Animoto.com and so do I. I am very inspired to make a video(s) to show how important our library is by including stats and pictures. I don't know if I can squeeze that in with this grueling UCM schedule but I'd love to.

It's important if I am going to fight for my library that I'm seen as a leader in my school and profession. It's thought of for many years that in order to be a professional, you have to belong to a professional organization. Doug Johnson writes an entry on his blog complaining about how ridiculous it is to pay the high price for annual dues and yet he insists it's necessary. He list many reasons why it's important and my favorite is “paying dues gives me opportunities for inter-species communications.” At anytime I have visited with other librarians, I come back inspired by their ideas, or even thankful that I have the specific job structure compared to theirs.

Chapter 12 in our text “The School Library Media Manager” focuses on being an advocacy for our libraries. In the marketing aspect of the library media center, it needs to be well planned and basically “on purpose.” Ways I plan to market my library should not be a reaction to something in a staff meeting or throwing stuff together hoping it will work. True marketing involves analysis, planning and being in firm control of every aspect.

Chapter 15 in our text focusses on being an advocate by being a leader. Our past is a detriment to our future because libraries started out maybe being part-time and possibly rotate between more than one school. It will take extra effort for us to be seen as professional leaders. The text mentioned many ways that this can be done. Some of which, I've already mentioned i.e. joining a professional organization. Some other ways I can be seen as a professional in my district is to be involved with legislators by even inviting them to visit. When I can, I need to document the activity and send it out to others. The chapter even suggests dressing like a professional and definitely to smile and like my job. 

So count me in on striving to be an advocate and a leader in the library!

American Association of School Librarians. Empowering Learners. ALA: Chicago, 2009. Print.


Dowd, Nancy. “The ‘M’ Word - Marketing Libraries: Godin, Gutenberg and Going Forward.” New Marketing Trends 14 May 2011. 25 June 2012. <http://themwordblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/godin-guttenberg-and-going-forward.html>.


Hamilton, Buffy. “Are Librarians, Not Seth Godin, The Ones Missing the Point on Libraries?” The Unquiet Librarian 16 May 2011. Web. 25 June 2012. <http://theunquietlibrarian.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/are-librarians-not-seth-godin-the-ones-missing-the-point-on-libraries/>.


Jones, Gwyneth A. “ Transparency is the New Black.” The Daring Librarian. 3 Apr. 2012. Web. 25 June 2012. <http://www.thedaringlibrarian.com/2012/04/transparency-is-new-black.html>.


Johns, Sara K. "Guest Post: Visibility Works!" Make Some Noise! School Library Journal, 9 Mar. 2012. Web. 26 June 2012. <http://blogs.slj.com/make-some-noise/2012/03/09/visibility-works/>.


Johnson, Doug. “BFTP: Why I Belong to ALA/AASL.” The Blue Skunk Blog. 14 Apr. 2012. Web. 26 June 2012. <http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2012/4/14/bftp-why-i-belong-to-alaaasl.html>.


Woolls, Blanche. The School Library Media Manager. Libraries Unlimited: Westport, Connecticut, 2008. Print.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment